LRC (Learning Resource Centre)
“The future belongs to those who know how to learn” - John Abbott 21st century Learning Initiative
The Learning Resources Centre (LRC) is an important and key part of St George’s School life. Since September 2010 the LRC has been located in a bright and well-equipped area of the new building.
Along with providing an accessible, quiet and encouraging working environment, our aim is to support teaching and learning across the school curriculum, create, inspire and strengthen reading habits of students and the whole school community, provide opportunities for independent learning, personal, social and cultural development, facilitate students development of information literacy, ICT and study skills as well as foster multicultural awareness, promoting cultural and linguistic diversity of our students and staff.
The LRC is a very popular area in the school with students, staff and visitors making good use of the excellent facilities. The Learning Resources Centre is open to students and staff throughout the school day and accessible before school hours, at lunchtime and after school. The LRC is widely used for lessons and individual study, group work and revision, literacy support and project or research work, meetings, parent’s evenings and exams.
Learning Resources Centre offers:
- Teaching/meeting area, a quiet reading and study corners, shelving areas housing all resources;
- Wide range of resources of all formats and media reflecting and supporting school curriculum;
- Great up-to date fiction and non-fiction collection for academic purposes and reading for pleasure;
- Reference materials such encyclopaedias, varieties of dictionaries, textbooks and revision guides;
Collection of resources for topic teaching:
- Resources for staff personal and professional development;
- Displays, recommended resources to support literacy across curriculum;
- Information literacy and research skills guidance and support;
- Wide range of magazines and newspapers;
- Career resources for KS4 and KS5 students;
- Internet access/ICT/printing facilities;
- Access to resources catalogue on-line;
- Out-of -school educational trips and visits.
Ms N Belous - Learning Resources Centre Manager (E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)